Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This Ain't No Place for the Pedantic Kind

I have to admit that I am pathetically out of the loop when it comes to new music. My iPod is loaded with chatty podcasts, and when I do listen to tunes I tend to fall back on Sgt. Pepper and classic Dire Straits.

That's why, when the musical guest--usually some cacophonous group of dirty hippies--is introduced on a talk show, I power down the sound and pick up a book. Recently, however, (I think it was on Letterman or Craig Ferguson), I found myself enraptured by the raspy, plaintive wails of a soulful singer singing a beautiful sad song. I thumbed up the volume on the remote and sat there in a semi-drunk reverie. Eventually I realized it was the feature track from the movie Crazy Heart (haven't seen it yet, but have heard great things about it and the soundtrack).

Anyway, here's the song:



Lyrics | Ryan Bingham - The Weary Kind lyrics

So why have I cited it on this blog? Well, I could point out the lack of apostrophes throughout the lyrics, or how "you rolled them sevens with nothing lose" should, of course, be "to lose." But really, I just wanted an excuse to listen again to what I think is a beautiful sad song.